Stromberg GFRG (Glass Fiber Reinforced Gypsum) CSI Specifications
PART 1 GENERAL
1.1 SECTION INCLUDES
- Glass fiber reinforced gypsum fabrications as indicated on the drawings.
1.2 RELATED SECTIONS
- Section 03490 - Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete.
- Section 04720 - Cast Stone.
- Section 05500 - Metal Fabrications: Supplementary supports for large items.
- Section 06100 - Rough Carpentry: Supplementary supports for large items.
- Section 06610 - Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastic Fabrications.
- Section 09900 - Paints and Coatings: Field painting and sealing prior to painting.
- ASTM C 840 - Standard Specification for Application and Finishing of Gypsum Board; 1999.
- ASTM D 256 - Standard Test Methods for Determining the Izod Pendulum Impact Resistance of Plastics; 1997.
- ASTM D 638 - Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics; 1999.
- ASTM D 785 - Standard Test Method for Rockwell Hardness of Plastics and Electrical Insulating Materials; 1998.
- ASTM D 790 - Standard Test Methods for Flexural Properties of Unreinforced and Reinforced Plastics and Electrical Insulating Materials; 1999.
- ASTM E 84 - Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials; 1999.
- Submit under provisions of Section 01300.
- Product Data: Manufacturer's data sheets on each product to be used, including dimensions, finishes, storage and handling requirements and recommendations, and installation recommendations.
- Shop Drawings: For custom items, provide drawings showing dimensions, layout, joints, details, and interface with adjacent work; include field measured dimensions of the spaces where items are to be installed, if critical to proper installation.
- Samples: For each custom finish specified, two samples, minimum size 6 inches (150 mm) square, representing actual product, color, and patterns.
1.5 DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
- Transport, lift, and handle units with care, avoiding excessive stress and preventing damage; use appropriate equipment.
- Store products in manufacturer's unopened packaging until ready for installation, in a clean dry area protected from weather, moisture and damage; store units upright and not stacked unless permitted by manufacturer.
PART 2 PRODUCTS
- Acceptable Manufacturer: Stromberg Architectural Products Inc; PO Box 8036, I-30 West, 4400 Oneal, Greenville, TX 75404. ASD. Tel: (903) 454-0904. Fax: (903) 454-3642. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. www.strombergarchitectural.com.
- Substitutions: Not permitted.
- Requests for substitutions will be considered in accordance with provisions of Section 01600.
- Glass Fiber Reinforced Gypsum Fabrications: High density gypsum reinforced with continuous filament glass fiber mat and structural reinforcing as required.
- Glass Content: 5 to 6 percent by weight.
- Density: 103 to 112 pcf (1650 to 1795 kg/cu m).
- Shell Thickness: 1/8 to 3/16 inch (3 to 5 mm), nominal.
- Flame Spread Index: 0, when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84.
- Flexural Strength: 3200 to 4000 psi (22 to 27.5 MPa), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 790.
- Modulus of Elasticity: 2.1 to 2.2 x 10^5 psi (1450 to 1515 MPa), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 790.
- Tensile Strength: 1200 to 1400 psi (8.3 to 9.6 MPa)), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 638.
- Impact Strength: 8.0 to 8.8 ft lb/sq in (13 to 14.4 J/sq mm), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 256.
- Hardness: M 72, ), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 785, Rockwell.
- Variation from Dimensions Indicated on Drawings: Plus and minus 1/8 inch (3 mm), maximum.
- Variation from Plane Along Edge or Surface: Plus and minus 1/16 inch per linear foot (1.5 mm in 300 mm), maximum.
- Outside Corner Radius: 1/16 inch to 1/8 inch (1.5 to 3 mm).
- Draft Angle: 3 degrees, minimum, on returns, setbacks, reveals, and grooves.
- Items Too Large or Heavy to be Adhesively Installed: Provide concealed anchorage points for plaster type wire anchors.
- Joint Cement: Liquid Nail, or equivalent.
- Joint Tape and Compound: Types recommended for gypsum wallboard work.
PART 3 EXECUTION
- Do not begin installation until substrates have been properly constructed; verify that substrates are plumb and true.
- If substrate preparation is the responsibility of another installer, notify Architect of unsatisfactory preparation before proceeding.
- Check field dimensions before beginning installation. If dimensions vary too much from design dimensions for proper installation, notify Architect and wait for instructions before beginning installation.
- Clean surfaces thoroughly prior to installation.
- Prepare surfaces using the methods recommended by the manufacturer for achieving the best result for the substrate under the project conditions.
- Install supplementary temporary and permanent supports as required for proper installation.
- Install in accordance with applicable code and manufacturer's recommendations, plumb and true to line; shim where necessary.
- Coordinate work with related gypsum wallboard work.
- Join pieces with cemented butt joints except at control and expansion joints.
- Provide control joints at not more than 35 feet (10.5 m) on center if not indicated on drawings.
- Provide expansion joints where moving joints in substrate occur.
- Finish joints the same as specified for adjacent gypsum board work in Section 09260.
- Finish joints and surfaces as required for Level 5 in ASTM C 840.
- Protect installed products until completion of project.
- Touch-up, repair or replace damaged products before Substantial Completion.
END OF SECTION