Stromberg GFRP (Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer) CSI Specifications
PART 1 GENERAL
1.1 SECTION INCLUDES
- Glass fiber reinforced plastic fabrications as indicated on the drawings.
1.2 RELATED SECTIONS
- Section 03490 - Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete.
- Section 04720 - Cast Stone.
- Section 05500 - Metal Fabrications: Supplementary supports for large items.
- Section 06100 - Rough Carpentry: Supplementary supports for large items.
- Section 09235 - Glass Fiber Reinforced Gypsum Fabrications.
- Section 09900 - Paints and Coatings: Field painting and sealing prior to painting.
- ASTM D 638 - Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics; 1999.
- ASTM D 648 - Standard Test Method for Deflection Temperature of Plastics Under Flexural Load in the Edgewise Position; 1998c.
- ASTM D 790 - Standard Test Methods for Flexural Properties of Unreinforced and Reinforced Plastics and Electrical Insulating Materials; 1999.
- ASTM D 695 - Standard Test Method for Compressive Properties of Rigid Plastics; 1996.
- ASTM E 84 - Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials; 1999.
- Submit under provisions of Section 01300.
- Product Data: Manufacturer's data sheets on each product to be used, including dimensions, finishes, storage and handling requirements and recommendations, and installation recommendations.
- Shop Drawings: For custom items, provide drawings showing dimensions, layout, joints, details, and interface with adjacent work; include field measured dimensions of the spaces where items are to be installed, if critical to proper installation.
- Samples: For each custom finish specified, two samples, minimum size 6 inches (150 mm) square, representing actual product, color, and patterns.
1.5 DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
- Transport, lift, and handle units with care, avoiding excessive stress and preventing damage; use appropriate equipment.
- Store products in manufacturer's unopened packaging until ready for installation, in a clean dry area off the ground and protected from weather, moisture and damage; store units upright and not stacked unless permitted by manufacturer.
PART 2 PRODUCTS
- Acceptable Manufacturer: Stromberg Architectural Products Inc; PO Box 8036, I-30 West, 4400 Oneal, Greenville, TX 75404. ASD. Tel: (903) 454-0904. Fax: (903) 454-3642. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. www.strombergarchitectural.com.
- Substitutions: Not permitted.
- Requests for substitutions will be considered in accordance with provisions of Section 01600.
- Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastic Fabrications: Molded surface coat over polyester resin laminate reinforced with glass fiber and structural reinforcing as required.
- Surface Coat: Ultraviolet inhibited NPG-ISO polyester gel coat, 20 mils (0.5 mm) thick, nominal.
- Surface Coat: Polyurethane.
- Color: __________.
- Texture on Exposed Side: __________.
- Resin: Isophthalic polyester resin; with flame spread index less than 25, smoke developed index less than 450, when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84; heat distortion greater than 180 degrees F (82 degrees C), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 648.
- Glass Fiber: "E" type random chopped fibers.
- Glass Content: 25 to 30 percent by weight.
- Glass Content: 15 percent by weight, maximum.
- Shell Thickness: 3/16 inch (5 mm), minimum.
- Surface Burning Characteristics: Flame spread index of less than 25, smoke developed index of less than 450,when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84.
- Flexural Strength: 20000 psi (138 MPa), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 790.
- Modulus of Elasticity: 0.9 x 10^6 psi (6200 MPa), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 790.
- Tensile Strength: 12000 psi (83 MPa), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 638.
- Compressive Strength: 17000 psi (117 MPa), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 695.
- Bearing Strength: 9000 psi (62 MPa), when tested in accordance with ASTM D 638.
- Thermal Expansion Coefficient: 10 x 10^-6 per degree F (5.56 x 10^-6 per degree C).
- Specific Gravity: 1.5.
- Variation in Thickness From Nominal: Minus 1/16 inch (1.5 mm), plus 1/4 inch (6 mm).
- Variation in Thickness of Gel Coat: Plus and minus 2.5 mils (0.06 mm), maximum.
- Variation from Dimensions Indicated on Drawings: Plus and minus 1/8 inch (3 mm), maximum.
- Variation from Square: Plus and minus 1/8 inch (3 mm), maximum.
- Variation of Hardware From Intended Location: Plus and minus 1/4 inch (6 mm), maximum.
- Provide concealed reinforced anchorage points for anchors of type recommended by manufacturer.
- Mark each unit with permanent serial number coordinated with shop drawing designators.
- Cure and clean prior to shipment; remove material that may be toxic to plant or animal life or incompatible with adjacent building materials.
- Do not begin installation until substrates have been properly constructed; verify that substrates are plumb and true.
- If substrate preparation is the responsibility of another installer, notify Architect of unsatisfactory preparation before proceeding.
- Check field dimensions before beginning installation. If dimensions vary too much from design dimensions for proper installation, notify Architect and wait for instructions before beginning installation.
- Clean surfaces thoroughly prior to installation.
- Prepare surfaces using the methods recommended by the manufacturer for achieving the best result for the substrate under the project conditions.
- Install supplementary temporary and permanent supports as required for proper installation.
- Install in accordance with applicable code and manufacturer's recommendations, plumb and true to line; shim where necessary.
- Install with variation from position shown on drawings not more than 1/4 inch in 10 feet (6.25 mm in 3 m); align horizontal and vertical joints.
- Fasten using methods that allow for thermal expansion and contraction.
- Provide control joints at not more than 35 feet (10.5 m) on center if not indicated on drawings.
- Provide expansion joints where moving joints in substrate occur.
- Protect installed products until completion of project.
- Touch-up, repair or replace damaged products before Substantial Completion.
END OF SECTION